User Stories: What's the Point and Why do we Use Them?
User stories are a core technique for most agile frameworks. Why is that? Why are they valuable, and are there any alternatives?
In this session we'll discuss:
- Why user stories are such a universal practice, the limitations they impose.
- The good, the bad, and the ugly of using user stories.
- We'll talk about alternatives (such as Job stories and Hypothesis stories) and where they fit into good practice.
- We'll talk about some of the common mistakes in agile practice when using stories. (Hint: not everything is a user story, and not everything should be!)
As with all the talks, this session will allow lots of time for Q&A so we can focus on what's important to you!
- Understand why user stories are a common technique in agile frameworks and why.
- Understand best & worst practices around user stories.
- Understand alternatives to user stories.
Presented by Ryland Leyton, CBAP, PMP, CSM, SA4, Agile Coach | Speaker | Author
Ryland Leyton, CBAP, PMP, CSM, SA4, is an avid Agile advocate & coach, business analyst, author, speaker, and educator. He has worked in the technology sector since 1998, starting off with database and web programming, gradually moving through project management and finding his passion in the BA and Agile fields. He has been a core team member of the IIBA® Agile Extension to the BABOK® and the IIBA Agile Analysis Certification. Ryland has written popular books on BA Agility and career topics. He can be reached at www.RylandLeyton.com.